Orthodox Christian worship is distinctive and perhaps even surprising for those who have only been exposed to contemporary Christian worship. The contrast can be rather surprising, along with many questions, such as:
- Does it really matter how we worship?
- Does God care at all when it comes to “worship styles?”
- Why is your pastor called “priest” and not just “pastor?”
- Why does he turn his back to the people most of the time?
- Why does he wear vestments rather than regular clothes?
- Why do the people stand so much?
- What about people making the sign of cross so often?
- Where are the musical instruments?
- Why use only the human voice and not guitars with drums?
- Do you really have to use incense?!
- Where do these worship services come from?
- Do all Orthodox Churches have the same services all over the world?
- Do you really need to have the Eucharist/Last Supper every Sunday?
If you would like to read more about Orthodox worship, the following two blog entries will be of interest: